- .@BT Is there another digital format for "This Binary Universe" besides DVD? 24 minutes ago
- Bears to put Jay Cutler through full-speed workout Wed. before making decision on starting QB vs. Browns (ESPN) ift.tt/1jODVhP 5 hours ago
- Brian Urlacher believes Bears should stick with Josh McCown as starting QB instead of healthy Jay Cutler (ESPN) ift.tt/1aVK1VD 5 hours ago
- Revealed: deaf signer at Mandela memorial was a fake whose gestures meant nothing | Herald Scotland heraldscotland.com/news/world-new… via @hsnewsbreak 9 hours ago
- Asked the 5 y.o. what he wanted to watch this AM. He said @ComedyBangBang. I don't know if I should ground him or praise him! #GoodKid 10 hours ago
- Why does @GMA continue to call upon Nancy Grace for anything?! #Screeching 11 hours ago
- I liked a @YouTube video youtu.be/by1nkkBrO4A?a BEST of KingBach Compilation [72 VINES!] 21 hours ago
- Josh McCown willing to step aside when Jay Cutler is healthy despite playing well as starter (ESPN) ift.tt/1bvhud5 1 day ago
- Bears-Eagles will be night game Sunday, Dec. 22 with both teams in playoff chase (ESPN) ift.tt/1btZNXU 1 day ago
- .@ToddGlass steps into the mind of a homophobic dad and finds a sad, sad truth #ThinkB4USpeak upworthy.com/a-gay-comedian… 1 day ago
Daily Archives: October 9, 2013
Almost equally bleepin’ brilliant!
via Facebook http://sbn.to/1e872Jd
has uploaded a photo to Flickr
via Facebook http://www.flickr.com/photos/michaelwasz/10173652165/?v=1
It has been awhile since I last wrote about my improv experiences and for good reason…there hasn’t been anything to write about.
After our debut in August, I received a Facebook Message from the Executive Director of the Raue Center for the Arts, Richard Kuranda. Want to read an impressive bio? Read his Wikipedia page…no, read it…I’ll wait.
He asked how I thought things went and conveyed his thoughts on the evening as well. We agreed that for a “first time”, having only eight hours together and learning a new game that day it was a good start. He asked if I was interested in being the Manager for the group and I said I was. We would schedule a meeting after Labor Day.
The next day I began putting together some materials together and some words in order that formed coherent sentences…much different than the ones I usually form. If I was going to take on this responsibility, I wasn’t going to allow myself to half-ass it. I was going to have ideas ready to go, ways to improve what we had now, ways to grow from where we are and thoughts on how to continue that expansion years down the road.
We eventually met on September 12 for what I would consider the most productive meeting I’ve had in years. Ideas were bounced off one another and all of us seemed to be rowing the same boat with very similar philosophies about the past, present and future of the troupe. I left that meeting energized.
Ready to take on the world.
This isn’t a departure from how I am with most tasks or projects that I start. When I am the impetus for something’s creation, I’m not, to be blunt, fucking around. I’m not. Why would I bother if my heart wasn’t into it completely? Why would anyone for that matter? What is the point of playing hopscotch then stopping at “6″?
But this was different. This wasn’t something born of me or my ideas.
This wasn’t something I had been trained nor necessarily been qualified for based on a resumé or any earlier known skill by anyone involved in this.
This new position was just that…new. I was the only one offered this position in its existence. For all I know, and my ego has wrestled with this, it was created – just. for. me.
Can you begin to understand my exuberance? ( I was looking for that word earlier, btw…)
Now let me add another layer on top of this…
My day in, day out, 9 to 5 is mundane and relatively mindless. One caveat to it however, is that it occasionally brings me in contact with the people of the Raue and the Theater itself. This has led to me taking advantage of the ONE NIGHT ONLY workshop taught by the Upright Citizen’s Brigade Touring Company which led to my Get Lit(erary) involvement which gained me a backdoor entrance into Williams Street Repertory which is how my interest in learning and doing Improv was brought out. Thanks,
Ivan and Kate Obamacare.
As I write this, I am still so amazed…appreciative…awed…to be in the place I am in and apart of this new group of people I consider my Improv Family.
I love the feeling I have writing about them, rehearsing with them, learning with them and looking forward to performing with them. I never want this feeling to end and I will do everything in my abilities to make sure it doesn’t.
I love you Improv, and I hope you love me too.